Do I Have to Pay for a Replacement EAD Card When My FORM I-485 Is Pending?

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is a permit that allows individuals to work in the U.S. for a limited time. This document is required for individuals who are not U.S. citizens but are authorized to work in the country in most visa categories. In the case where the previously issued EAD is lost, stolen, or damaged, individuals need to file for a replacement EAD as soon as possible.

If you have lost, stolen, or damaged your EAD, you need to file for a replacement. If you have filed for adjustment of status and paid the Form I-485 fee, you are exempt from having to pay a fee for a replacement EAD when it is lost, stolen or damaged.

Let’s take a look at published guidance from USCIS:

If you are requesting a replacement EAD because your previously issued card was lost, stolen, or damaged, but has not expired, you must pay the filing fee unless you have filed for adjustment of status on or after July 30, 2007 and paid the Form I-485 filing fee.

If you did not pay the Form I-485 filing fee because your filing fee was waived or you are exempt from paying it, you must pay the Form I-765 filing fee or request that the filing fee be waived. See Form I-912 at [fee waiver application]

FORM I-765 guidance, USCIS, February 2023


Have an immigration question? Fill out a consultation form and an immigration attorney will reach out to you shortly.

Similar Posts